How to Connect Orbi to Spectrum Modem?
“After replacing the old modem with the brand new Spectrum modem, I can’t connect the Orbi router to it. There seems to be something that I am missing on. Can you please help me with the setup?”
This is something that any Orbi user can come across. If you’re having trouble and want to learn how to connect Orbi to Spectrum modem, then this post will help you out.Keep on reading ahead and configure your Orbi system.
How to Connect Orbi Router to Spectrum Modem?
An Orbi router can be connected to the Spectrum modem just the way you connect it to any other modem. However, if you can’t get the devices connected, then there are two things that could have happened.
- Orbi has the previous modem’s configuration settings running on it.
- The Spectrum modem is not the only modem. It is a modem router.
Solution 1: Reset Netgear Orbi
You are setting up your Netgear Orbi with the new modem. The Orbi must be running on the factory settings while you’re setting it up. If you’re getting stuck and can’t connect the devices, then perform Orbi factory reset. The steps for Orbi reset are as presented below:
- Detach any cable other than the power cable from the Orbi router.
- Taking the help of a sharp and pointed object, push the Reset button that’s located inside a hole named Factory Reset or Reset.
- Hold the button till you see your Orbi blinking in amber color.
- Release the button and the device will reboot itself.
- Repeat the same steps with the satellites as well and get them reset to the default factory values.
Now your Netgear Orbi mesh system is ready to be configured with Spectrum modem.
Solution 2: Enable Bridge Mode on Spectrum Modem
If the modem that you own is not just a modem but a modem router, then by connecting it with the Orbi router, you are creating a Double NAT situation. Each router creates a NAT and thus there is a Double NAT. Each router will have its own IP and private network. The devices on the two private networks will have difficulty communicating with each other. Thus you should avoid Double NAT.
To get this job done, you can use your Spectrum modem router in Bridge mode.
What is Bridge Mode on Router?
This is a feature that lets two routers coexist with each other without causing Double NAT. Let’s explain it to you in detail. A WiFi router serves as a gateway between the internet and the home network. Now when you’re trying to connect two routers together, if you enable Bridge mode, one router will simply act as a bridge. That means it bypasses the gateway function. The two routers will behave as a single network when they are bridged.
One router acts as the primary router that’s responsible for assigning IP addresses to the accessing devices. The second router acts as a bridge by connecting to the first router and helps devices on the network to communicate and connect to the internet.
You can enable Bridge mode on your Spectrum router by logging in to it.This disables the routing functions of the Spectrum router.
Let’s Connect Orbi to Spectrum Modem!!
Now download the Orbi app on your phone. Execute the steps given ahead to carry out the setup process by using the default Netgear Orbi login details.
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect the Ethernet port on the Spectrum modem to the yellow Internet port on the Netgear Orbi router.
- Supply power to the Spectrum modem and the Orbi router now.
- Get your phone connected to Orbi’s network.
- Run the Netgear Orbi app now and follow the instructions that you see on the screen.
This is how to connect Orbi to Spectrum modem. You can now relocate the Orbi devices in various parts of the home so that the devices can blanket your home with a WiFi connection.
The Closing Thoughts
If you’re struggling to set up your Netgear Orbi after replacing your modem, then this guide will help you get rid of the obstacle. With the hope of providing you with sufficient and apt information, here we put an end to our guide on how to connect Orbi to Spectrum modem.